Private Division (New York, NY)
Private Division is a developer-focused publisher that empowers independent studios to develop the games that they are passionate about creating, while providing the support that they need to make their titles critically and commercially successful on a global scale. Announced as a new division of Take-Two Interactive Software, the label publishes Kerbal Space Program and will publish upcoming titles with renowned creative talent at studios including Obsidian Entertainment, Panache Digital Games, V1 Interactive, and more. Private Division is headquartered in New York City with offices in Seattle, Munich, and Las Vegas. This is a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial-minded public relations and communications professional to help build a new business backed by one of the best companies in the industry.
The Communications Manager will be a part of a growing marketing and communications team, and contribute to the strategic development and public relations campaigns of Private Division’s partner games. We are seeking an experienced public relations and communications strategist and manager who exhibits the ability to handle multiple projects at a time while demonstrating a balance of creativity and data-informed marketing and communications strategies in an agile startup environment.
- Collaborate with our developer partners in planning and developing the PR and communications strategies for our games.
- Lead the tactical execution of PR and communications plans and activities for Private Division’s portfolio of titles, with support from the rest of the PR and marketing teams based in New York and Munich, and external PR agencies and freelancers.
- Have and continue to build an established network and relationships with key consumer and video game press and content creators. Manage press and content creator strategy for our games.
- Organize and lead execution of press events, including traveling to events at developer studios, trade shows, conferences, and other industry related events.
- Seek out, vet, and manage relationships with external PR agencies, freelancers, and other vendors as needed.
- Lead the development of community and social media strategies, with support from the internal and external community management teams.
- Create and manage product PR budgets, campaign coverage reports, and post mortems.
- Work closely with the global marketing teams and product development team to support the worldwide execution of the PR, marketing, community, and social media plans for our games.
- The developers we work with are valued partners – it is equally important to be responsive and listen, as it is to contribute.
- As we are a startup environment within the organization, we are seeking a professional who will “wear many hats,” and assist and contribute to publisher activities outside of the core PR and communication functions.
- Expected to identify and then take ownership of any responsibilities and opportunities that present themselves to this growing organization.
- Travel, both domestic and international, is required.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of PR and communications work experience, including launching console and/or PC video games. PR agency experience and strong knowledge of the video game industry is preferred.
- A deep love for playing video games and understanding of the gaming industry, including both development and marketing/PR, from AAA releases to independent games.
- Experience managing relationships with press (consumer and games media editors) and content creators.
- A proven track record of developing and managing strategic plans within scope and budget.
- Creative approach to both PR and problem solving, coupled with the ability to take creative risks.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, as well as time and project management skills. Ability to balance multiple projects at once and prioritize workload appropriately while meeting deadlines.
- Experience in writing and crafting press releases that reinforce the publisher’s and developer partners’ goals and strategies.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and transparent method with our partners and uphold our label marketing pledge.
- Able to win and maintain the respect from outside development teams through thoughtful input, strong work ethic, and perseverance.
- Demonstrate a strong ability to listen, and develop a complete understanding of our partner games and the developers’ goals as organizations.
- Experience in building and managing relationships with freelancers, agencies, vendors, and other external resources.
- A deep desire to drive and contribute to the creation of a new business initiative.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and/or other relevant project management toolset, including learning those used by our internal teams and external developer partners.
- Cover letter is mandatory and counts as an application requirement for the role.