ABOUT THE POSITION
What We’re Working On
Kerbal Space Program 2 is the much-anticipated sequel to the beloved Kerbal Space Program, the game that launched a thousand aerospace careers. We’re extending the game in every possible direction — forward into a future of space colonization and next-gen technology, upward to new star systems, and outward toward approachability. KSP2’s gorgeous and beguiling universe combines with a radically improved user experience to attract and foster new players while satisfying existing fans’ appetites for new challenges. We’re also bringing a new social dimension to the game with an all-new multiplayer experience, allowing friends to collaboratively build an interstellar civilization. We believe that by preserving and extending the magic of the original game, a new generation of fans will be given a chance to fall in love with the fearless, ever-curious Kerbals as they explore the cosmos.
We’re seeking a Part Designer to work alongside our design and art teams to create aesthetically appropriate, highly detailed, and well-researched parts for both vehicles and colonies in Kerbal Space Program 2. The Part Designer is responsible for working closely with the design team and creative director to conceptualize new parts that improve gameplay, enrich game progression, and fit well with existing parts both aesthetically and physically. The Part Designer will create concepts and 3D models to be provided as guides for part artists, and will be heavily involved in testing and iterative development of new parts. The Part Designer will also be responsible for conceptualizing parts that look great and contribute to the “cool factor” of the game while adhering to plausible industrial design and engineering logic.
- Identify gameplay needs and then use independent research and subject matter expert interviews to design plausible parts to fit those needs
- Make sure that every part in the game speaks to real-world design and engineering principles
- Ensure that all parts look cool, both individually and in combination with one another
- Make sure that all parts in the game fit well with one another, aesthetically and physically
- Ensure that part designs can be easily turned into performant assets by the art staff (i.e. keeping polygon and texture limitations in the back of your mind)
- Work closely with design to fulfill gameplay and progression needs
- Provide materials guidance and engineering justification to parts artists to help them make informed decisions while creating finished parts
- Provide guidance to VFX and SFX staff to ensure excellence in finished part execution
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong visual design skills
- Industrial design, part modding, or other industry experience demonstrating an ability to create assets that are both scientifically plausible and beautiful
- 2 years game industry experience, Kerbal modding experience, or equivalent school experience
- Proficiency in a 3D program (3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender, or equivalent)
- Deep knowledge and passion for space exploration technologies, well-represented in your prior work
- Experience playing Kerbal Space Program a bonus
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment and redo/iterate work until it’s right
- Task driven, self-motivated and proactive
- Quick learner, able to rapidly pick up new software and workflow pipelines
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (“T2”) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, which means we are committed to crafting and celebrating diverse thoughts, cultures, and backgrounds throughout our organization. Employment at T2 is based on substantive ability, objective qualifications, and work ethic – not an individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses, reproductive health decision, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.